Saturday, December 25, 2010

Another Spectacular Bird!

As we drove away from Die Weide, we saw a large bird standing next to the road. Thinking the usual vultures, we saw it fly off and realized it had markings I've never seen. Large and distinctly black and white! We wondered if we had seen a bald eagle, but I never heard of a bald eagle with white tail and wing tips and the head wasn't solid white. As I drove on, I saw in the rear-view mirror that the bird landed again next to the road so I impulsively made a U-turn and headed back where we got a good look at the bird and its mate. It was a large, eagle-sized bird with a white head with black cap on top and red around the beak. When it flew off again we saw white markings on its tail and wing-tips.

On our return home, I went to identify whatbird dot com and chose the bird features that lead to the identification of the Crested Caracara (Mexican Eagle).



Two totally new and awesome birds spotted near our land. A person could get addicted to birding like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment