Sunday, April 1, 2012

Late Garden Planting - and a new critter picture

This weekend comprises an inventory of our usual weekends of activity laden joy. I complete a weekend like this with the joy of saying, "Life is Good!"

Saturday we spent more than six hours working on Die Weide. It started with my installing the small gate, which wasn't installed last week due to some missing hardware. Then Inge and I fork turned the portion of the garden and prepped the soil for planting. This year we're only using half the space we used last year because we got off to a late gardening start out here. We planted four rows of corn, six rows of black-eyed peas, three watermelon mounds, two cantaloupe mounds, and eight squash and zucchini mounds. Next week I'll add some leek left over from the house garden and a few tomato plants. That will be all we plant in the Weide garden this year. (Our back yard garden's four raised beds are chock full of goodies already.)

After the planting I installed a board with hooks to hang the garden tools while Inge took a walk down to the pond. There she spotted a dark snake laying across the dam. She told me about it and later we took a walk to the pond together and it was then I spotted the snake in the run-off pool below the dam. Inge had her camera and I took this zoomed in picture of the snake, which we have tentatively identified as a young western cottonmouth.
In over two years of wandering through Die Weide, this is only the second snake we've seen, and neither was a rattlesnake. (The first may have been a corn snake.) But it is fascinating to see any critter on Die Weide!

Today we stayed home and worked the home chores. Mowing and hedge trimming topped my early chore list, knocked out quickly because I chose today to begin a new Weide project in my workshop - a Top Bar Beehive! I found several plans online and as usual, picked and chose the bits and pieces I liked from their plans to create my own bee hive. Today was spent sizing and gluing the main components and next week I'll complete the build with some pictures for your pleasure. I hope that within two weeks we can install the beehive, with bees, out on Die Weide. Gotta get some pictures of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment