Monday, March 30, 2015

Out of the Mud Diswashing Station Campout Build

 One of the joys of Die Weide is the opportunity to have weekend camp outs with my brother Kenny. I usually put him to work and this time I decided we'd put our carpentry skills to building an outdoor kitchen to wash camp out dishes. I chose to build this after I got annoyed last year at having to muck with mud washing dishes last year. The following picture shows the final results built from a few 2x4's, 2x6's and 1x6's.
Sturdy enough to jump from!
The buckets of water will be poured over the ever dry compost heaps. (And a bonus - the sinks will harvest rain into the buckets!) The chunk of 6" PVC scrap well casing will be built into a solar hot water tank mounted on the tall 2x4 to provide gravity feed hot water. I have a sketch of the design which will all be painted black to heat the water.
Kenny pre-drilling. (I insisted!)
We built the 2x4 top frame to the size of the sink with an overhang to place dishes (and junk!)
Kenny Cutting notches for the 2x4 hot water leg.
Always use the right tool for the job!
Needed to notch the 2x4 legs to account for the sink mounting rail. It's fun to work with sharp chisels.
A pan of hot water from the fire and cold water pumped from the well means washing dishes!
Of course, if I put my brother to work, then it's expected to feed him too so we popped the top on good beer, which we drink from covered steins. The covers keep the bugs out and the steins keep the beer cold a long time. However, every camping trip I get to hear, "don't break the steins!"

Nearly sundown - rotisserie chicken turning and sizzling.
 As often occurs a steady south wind blew all day. It's rained a lot this spring so no burn ban and we built wind breaks to keep most of the wind off the fire. The orange bucket isn't just a table for our beer steins, it's full of water just in case and the shovel is just out of sight as well.

Chicken and french fries. I know it's possible to cook healthy food but I go for gusto on the pit.

Sundown stir fries.
It was a bit cool in the morning and the south wind was a tad nippy. Kenny found a nice out of the wind way to tend the fire for the morning breakfast tacos.
Fire pit cooked breakfast tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment