Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Critters on Die Weide


Penny Puppy Ears
Originally uploaded by johntestsgo
Sunday we encountered our first snake on Die Weide. Inge and Melissa were clearing brush from under a copse of trees when Inge saw the snake right in front of her. Melissa and I saw it too. It was rapidly departing down a hole when I saw it and I only saw the last half or less of it. It had horizontal black and red stripes. The red was in two shades of dull red and the black was dull too. Coral snakes have red, yellow, and black stripes and are brightly colored so the snake we saw wasn't a coral snake. I looked online and the closest I could find was a non-poisonous corn snake. It was about as thick as my big toe.

As you can see from the picture, Penny, our Chocolate Lab puppy gets the run of the land. She doesn't run much though. We also saw Longhorn cattle that our southern neighbors graze on their land. There weren't as many birds as usual - perhaps they were subdued by the heat too.

No comments:

Post a Comment