Monday, March 4, 2013

First Flower Spotted!

This Little Blue flower usually delights us first in spring.

This weekend our trip to Gruene Weide indeed found signs of impending spring. The grass is starting to sprout shoots and on the way out we spotted the first meadow flower. I looked in my photo archive for a picture of that flower, as I have taken numerous flower photos, but that particular flower wasn't in the archive. The flower was a very tiny 5 or six point blue flower, that grew very close to the ground. I have seen it often before and will take my macro lens out next week to photograph it for my archive.

Normally we would expect around 3.5 inches per month from December through March/April but we haven't been getting any where near that amount of rain. I am fearful that we will have another long, hot, dry summer if we don't get more rain in the next couple of months. This also means we will likely see fewer flowers this spring.

Our main work yesterday, besides the feeding and watering of Herbie, was to grab the loppers and shears and head into the woods to bust brambles. These thorny vines grow everywhere in our woods, choking out trees where left unchecked. So Inge and I tackle the beast, chopping and lopping the thorny curse, clearing paths and rescuing trees. While taking flower photos, I'll take and display a blog photo of one of the thicker patches for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment